Despite many other digital options business cards are still an important part of business etiquette.
Here are some basic tips to follow in terms of exchange of business cards:
1. Keep your cards in something that protects them from wear and tear. A “tired” business card makes a poor first impression.
2. Make sure to know where your business cards are at all times. The person who has to go through every jacket and pants pocket to find those business cards loses credibility immediately.
3. Don’t deal with them like playing cards as they will appear worthless.
4 . Always make a comment about a card when you receive it. Note the logo, the business name or some other piece of information. This places value on the card.
5. Keep your business cards up to date.
6. Avoid appearing aggressive with business cards. Wait to be asked for yours. If that isn’t happening, ask the other person for a card. Reciprocity generally follows.